Monday, February 20, 2006

Do You Use Papers Faster Than Trees Grow?

Papers are cheap. I bet, our mass demand for papers makes production cost per page really low. So, why worry about using them? boss does not care. Well, I am sure lots of us already know, just because papers are cheap dollar-wise, it might not be cheap for our environment. Papers are made from trees. So, I ask all of you to think: do you use papers faster than trees grow? Technology has enable us to print out hundreds of pages in minutes. However, trees do not grow in minutes. By printing out those pages, you are killing trees faster than they grow. If enough of us are doing it, we will significantly reduce the number of trees on earth!

Now, we have business to conduct. We can't just stop using papers. However, we can use less and use them more wisely.
  • We can email that report, instead of print and send.
  • We can print our reports double-sized.
  • Do not just flow away used papers, recycle them.
  • Better yet, save them, use them as scrap papers, THEN recycle them.
Since I started collecting used papers from my work, I have been very disgusted by the amount of papers we waste. I started exploring ways to use my scrap papers.
  • I learned how to feed scrap papers into photocopiers and printers.
  • I tried to see if my colleagues would accept drafts of documents printed from scrap papers.
  • I am printing out articles with scrap papers so that I can read them on the go.
  • I use scrap papers for all the quick notes I need to write down.
By using scrap papers more often, I am also using less clean papers. I am now slowly reducing my loads of scrap papers! I hope one day, I will be able to clean up my 3000+ pages of scrap papers.

I wish you can join me to save the trees!

No comments: